As every parent knows we sometimes have the best of intentions but they are not always met with total enthusiasm. Wednesdays are spanish days in our house. I try to limit English and the kids go to various Spanish groups or have a tutor. This week I tried to get my eldest to attend a Spanish group but he was reluctant and I decided I have to let him lead his learning.
Tips for reluctant learners:
-Try a magazine subscription
Language magazine subscriptions
– Try a Skype or face to face tutor
bilingual kids rock article on Skype tutors via Spanglish baby
– Try switching languages of their favourite cartoons
– Get them to teach you or the younger sibling
– Stimulate their interest with a book they love in English or ask them to read the bilingual book to you or their sibling
– Bedtime routine and the language- I like Olena’s bilingual massage idea, I learnt to do baby massage and the eldest loved it at bedtime so I am thinking how to encorporate it into our routine with some Spanish rhymes and bedtime sayings.
massage and bilingualism
I also like the idea of making a visual timetable and song chart
nursery rhyme charts
How do you get more language into your kids or varying ages?